Once you have received the news that you have been selected for a job interview, your first thoughts should be preparation for the interview. Start by believing that you are the right person for the job! Visualize yourself in the job and working.
Within the first 30 seconds of meeting you, most interviewers would have already formed an opinion about you. Your goal is to impress the interviewers and to get them thinking “this is the right person for this job” or “this candidate really looks the part.” Therefore how you dress for the interview is likely to be one of the most important factors in determining whether you are successful or not.
Assess your own appearance before the interviewers do so. Consider your hair, your face, your clothes, and your shoes among other factors. Ask yourself, if I was hired now and asked to start work immediately, would I fit in the work environment with my present attire? The answers should be yes.
- Invest in an interview outfit. This outfit, should be bought specifically
- Your attire should be crisp, clean and businesslike. Clothes that look too casual will not impress the interviewers. Similarly being overdressed, or inappropriately dressed, will not impress either.
- Both men and women should wear enclosed shoes to the job interview.
- Both men and women should remember that the grooming and appearance of their hair is an important factor in creating a professional image. Seek to create the impression in the interviewers’ minds before you even speak a single word that you are the right person for the job.
- Avoid loud colours. Basic solid colours like black or dark grey are regarded as ideal.
- Finally, avoid wearing cologne, strong aftershave lotion or perfumes to an interview. One or more of the interviewers may be allergic to the fragrance you are wearing.
We hope you find these tips useful and good luck!
By: Rohan Malone, B.Sc.
Senior Associate – Talent Acquisition